Roundtable - Disinformation on Social Media: - February 24, 2022
Disinformation on Social Media: Countering and Deconstructing Hostile Narratives — Way Forward for Pakistan
A Roundtable Conference was hosted on 24th February 2022 in Islamabad by CPSD on the topic of Disinformation on Social Media; Countering and Deconstructing Hostile Narratives and the Way Forward for Pakistan. Experts on the subject matter were called as speakers, providing insight about the topic at hand, followed by a lively question and answer session with students from NUST university.
One of the most prominent takeaways from the conference was that there should be a focus on educating, legislating and instilling responsibility for all internet users considering them as potential tools available for both information and disinformation. Secondly, panelists stressed that the understanding and
differentiation between misinformation, disinformation and malformation must be developed. Government institutes must strive to convince the tech-companies to provide data domains because presently Pakistan is data dependent, particularly in the context of India being the regional headquarters for a majority of social media websites. Lastly, it may be noted that not all disinformation and misinformation need a response, and to just avoid the information vacuum would be a more intelligent option.
• Mooed Pirzada, Political Commentator, Geostrategic Analyst and TV News Journalist, Host of “Hard Talk” on 92 News
• Shahid Raza, Strategic Communications Specialist at STZA
• Dr. Hussain Nadim, Executive Director (C&R) at IPRI
• Dr. Najma Sadiq, HOD Mass Communication Department, NUST
• Dr. Talat Shabbir, Director China-Pakistan Study Center, ISSI